Kid Scrapes His Knee At The Beach, Brings Home Unwanted Hitchhiker

It's getting to the point where you can't go to the beach without encountering something horrifying, from pollution to used hypos in the sand to critters lurking in the water waiting to take a bite out of you.

Beachgoers have experienced these same problems for decades, but the fact that people can easily share their experiences via the interwebs means we hear about a lot more gross stuff nowadays.

Rachel Franklin and her son Paul were at a beach in Orange County, California one day when Paul scraped his knee.

The wound became horribly infected, but doctors told Rachel to treat it with antibiotics and not to pop it, thinking it was just a common infection.

But then the wound turned black and started oozing, so Rachel decided to drain the wound herself and discovered that the cause of the infection was a sea snail hitching a ride inside the wound.

(YouTube Link)

Looks like I'll be wearing a full suit of heavy armor every time I go to the beach from now on!

-Via IFL Science


Newest 1
Newest 1 Comment

Infections at joints can be very serious. I think the lack of medical followup was a really bad idea. I'd imagine that the doctor's exit orders would have included some instructions along the lines of "if the area continues to be inflamed, or becomes discolored, return for a re-examination."
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Commenting is closed.




Email This Post to a Friend
"Kid Scrapes His Knee At The Beach, Brings Home Unwanted Hitchhiker"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.

 

Success! Your email has been sent!

close window
X

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
 
Learn More