(Photo: Siouxsie Wiles)
Fiona Wallis of Taranaki, New Zealand noticed that food that she had purchased for Tucker, her dog, glowed. Siouxsie Wiles, a microbiologist in Auckland, determined that there was bioluminescent sea bacteria inside.
She couldn't determine precisely which kind without DNA analysis, but since the dog food is kept in brine, which an ideal environment for the sea bacteria, it was the most likely culprit. The dog food seller, Jimbo's Pet Food, is investigating the matter. Wiles says that it shouldn't be dangerous, but that cooking the food would kill the bacteria.