Inflated Hedgehog

A hedgehog in Bude, Cornwall, England, was taken to the vet because he was so big and round that he couldn't walk or curl up. Veterinary staff were puzzled, because the huge hedgehog was of normal weight. An x-ray revealed that the animal was, indeed, inflated. Veterinary surgeon Adam Revitt said he had never seen a case of "balloon syndrome" before.

Balloon syndrome occurs when bacteria gets into a wound and gives off gas that becomes trapped under the skin, Mr Revitt explained.

He added: "This is the first case I had ever seen. It is uncommon. There are very few things published about it.

"Without the treatment it couldn’t breathe and would probably have died."

Revitt used a syringe to slowly deflate the hedgehog over about five minutes. The animal is now on antibiotics and is recovering nicely. Link  -via Arbroath

Previously at Neatorama: A similar case from 2007.

Love cute animals? View more at Lifestyles of the Cute and Cuddly blog

Newest 1
Newest 1 Comment

Login to comment.

Email This Post to a Friend
"Inflated Hedgehog"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.


Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More