Exploding Sauerkraut

Who says high school science is boring? A hazmat team was summoned to a school in Prince George, British Columbia when a can of sauerkraut exploded!
Twenty-four students and four staff members at Kelly Road Secondary School were put into quarantine Friday afternoon after a can of the preserved cabbage exploded in a food sciences class.

Teachers didn't know what was inside the can when it blew up, and called the local fire department and police to prevent an outbreak of botulism, a potentially fatal disease caused by bacteria sometimes found in canned food.

Investigators were soon able to identify the substance as the popular German sausage topping, which had been left to ferment for years.

When the hazmat team was finished, students were sent home for the day. Link -via Fortean Times

(Image credit: Flickr user Maggie Tacheny)

Newest 3
Newest 3 Comments

Decades ago my Dad messed around with making 'kraut in his basement from cabbage he had grown in his garden and blew up several crocks that he had closed a little too tightly.

Kraut makers home-brew beer makers have always made little home hand-grenades....
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Login to comment.

Email This Post to a Friend
"Exploding Sauerkraut"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.


Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More