The earliest case of SHC that we know of today comes from a Danish anatomist named Thomas Bartholin who in 1663 described an occurrence in Paris where a woman was burnt completely to ashes in her sleep while the straw mattress upon which she was laying remained unmarred by the flames that had consumed her. Since the reporting of this case of spontaneous human combustion to the whole of the European community, many others have been recorded in history. Yet, they tend to have a similar pattern in the resulting accounts. The victim is generally found almost completely consumed by a then died out fire in his or her home or place of residence.
From the Upcoming ueue, submitted by vedran84.
I'm still confused about the folding sandwhiches, they just doesn't work, it's stupid.
Also: that fat drunk guy spontaneously combusted in Bleak House. So it has to be real.