“I call these things ‘White Guy in a Tie’ events,” a Canadian friend of a friend named Jake told me during the recruitment pitch he gave me in Beijing, where I live. “Basically, you put on a suit, shake some hands, and make some money. We’ll be in ‘quality control,’ but nobody’s gonna be doing any quality control. You in?”
And so I became a fake businessman in China, an often lucrative gig for underworked expatriates here. One friend, an American who works in film, was paid to represent a Canadian company and give a speech espousing a low-carbon future. Another was flown to Shanghai to act as a seasonal-gifts buyer. Recruiting fake businessmen is one way to create the image—particularly, the image of connection—that Chinese companies crave. My Chinese-language tutor, at first aghast about how much we were getting paid, put it this way: “Having foreigners in nice suits gives the company face.”
Link via Fausta's Blog | Image: University of Texas
Previously: Meet a Black Person
10 reasons why you need the Laowai's help
1. You can't rent a place in Beijing without paying for 3 months deposit, and the first months rent.
If your on a budget I can help you with finding a place that does not require that, or the best option according to your budget.
2. It will take you ages to find the right agency or job.
I'll be there to help you sort them and have the best chance of finding work right away, and preparing you for success.
3. It's impossible to not get cheated when you first come to China without having people you can trust and count on.
Trust me, I've been there and done that.
4. You're screwed If you don't speak Chinese before coming here.
Languge excahge or meeting friends for classifieds will not cut it
5. I'll Show you how to learn Chinese for free, how to meet women, or find friends.
6. Me or a memember of my staff will personally meet you at the airport and help you get a phone number, book ahotelect.
7. 24hr phone hotline and curbside assistance (optional)
8. I'm a American with a Chinese staff that speaks fluent english.
9. save 100's by me showing you how to bargin and find the best deals like a native Beijinger.
10 I'm that damn good