Tongue on Frozen Flagpole Claims Another Victim

When my hometown of Vancouver, Washington isn't landing on Neatorama for its bus-riding goats, it's usually quiet on the odd news front.  But yesterday, firefighters had to remove a middle schooler's tongue from a frozen flagpole.
Firefighter Mike Swanson then applied warm water to the boy's tongue to get it unstuck.  The firefighter crew gave the boy hot chocolate and cookies and he required no further medical attention.  "This is a first [in] my 18 years with the fire district," Swanson said.

A news release from the fire department said that even when issued a "triple-dog dare," they advise people against putting their tongue on a metal pole in the cold.

(Sigh) It's beginning to look a lot like A Christmas Story.  Photo: Warner Brothers Pictures.

Newest 5
Newest 5 Comments

It's a guy thing. I tried to explained to my wife why the kid in A Christmas Story had to do it. He was triple dog dared. Of course I did some crazy things when I was a kid, but never did this one.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
It happened to a friend of mine, his hand was stuck to a ski tow pole. The firemen came but unfortunatly there's wasn't either hot or warm water at disposal.
So one of them told my friend to turn his head and close his eyes while he was peeing on the hand to remove him.
True but gross,sorry, and believe me he will never forget...
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Login to comment.

Email This Post to a Friend
"Tongue on Frozen Flagpole Claims Another Victim"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.


Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More