Woman Came Back From the Dead After 17 Hours with No Measurable Brain Waves

After Velma Thomas' heart stopped beating three times and more than 17 hours with no measurable brain waves, her family said their goodbyes and took her off life support.

Then something completely unexpected happened: she miraculously came back to life!

"There were really no signs she had neurological functions," Kevin Eggleston, an internist, told ABC News. "There was no life there," her son, Tim Thomas, told the Charleston Daily Mail. "Her skin had already started hardening, her hands and toes were curling up." [...]

Family members left the hospital to make funeral arrangements. That's when they say a miracle happened.

Ten minutes after the medical staff stopped the respirator -- while nurses were removing the tubing -- Velma Thomas woke up. "She moved her arm, and we thought it was reflexes," Pence told ABC News.

Nurses hurried to call Tim Thomas, who was already a few miles away, on his cell phone. They told him that his mother was moving and had a heart rate, Tim Thomas told the Daily Mail.

Velma Thomas had moved her arm and foot, then she coughed and moved her eyes. Amazingly, Thomas began speaking.


Newest 5
Newest 5 Comments

This is an excellent example of terrible medical reporting. Neuologicablog is the first good review of the reporting and the likely facts of the case I've seen. This case has been parroted all over the internet, and I'm too furious at the lousy reporting and medical inaccuracies to even go into the issues that neurologica has already nicely summarized.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Login to comment.

Email This Post to a Friend
"Woman Came Back From the Dead After 17 Hours with No Measurable Brain Waves"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.


Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More