Turns out squirrels are more devious than anyone realized:
To protect their winter food stocks from potential thieves, they put on an elaborate show of burying non-existent nuts and seeds, a study has shown.
Scientists say the fake burials are designed to confuse any rival squirrels, birds or humans who might be watching.
The level of deception has astonished animal experts who say it shows a rare form of animal cunning and intelligence.
Despite their intelligence, however, squirrels have yet to discover a way to foil The Catapult.
Previously on Neatorama:
- Squirrels Use "Snake Perfume" to Fool Predators
- Sugar Bush Squirrel For President!
- Squirrel's Secret Anti-Rattlesnake Weapon
- Spy Squirrels Caught by Iranians. Yes, Spy Squirrels.
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Squirrel