By Marianne Williams: I'm a photographer living in Los Angeles, CA. I work shooting film stills and various happenings, meanwhile hacking an ongoing series of portraits of LA music and artist friends called LA Daze. Candy colored images combine elements of the subject's work and personality with pop culture, historical and religious iconography, exposed artifice, and movie references. Romak has helped a lot with brilliant make up skills and I get a lot of my props from Dapper Cadaver, it's always a collaboration. I print an annual magazine style portfolio of the project and hope to release it as an art book at some point.
1. Cindergarden dons half porcelain doll face and half death mask inspired by traditional Mexican Dios de los Muertes dolls. A skeleton arm encircles her neck.
2. Qrixs Martinez plays Virgin Mary. A red string is barely scene holding
up the latex heart.
3. Cindergarden plays Alice,
laying with bunny Foot Foot at a picnic strangely devoid of food.
4. "Die Sieger". Raphael and I were working together on Tristan's
film called Trilby where he reinvented the classic character of the hypnotist
Svengali. Here Svengali bewitches the mexican card game loteria to make
this image about sleight of hand and the power of suggestion.
5. Graffiti artist Smear paints for a portrait after a police raid on
his home when he was indicated in the production of the giant MTA tag
that spanned 2,000 feet long by 60 feet tall in the LA River.
6. "Peace on Earth". Phil took me to the firing range for
the first time in January and shortly after let me borrow his guns for
this shoot. Part of the blue floor series.
7.Romak as Marilyn playing Adam. Note the holey sock.
8. Comedien Tarzan Mendez ponders good and evil.
9. Performer and promoted Monkeybucket channels the smiling Buddha, with
vintage toys from his collection.
10. Electronic music programmer [tlr] is inspired by video games and
anime, so I caught him mid-air in 6 eyed ninja mode.
marianne at halfasecondorless dot com
We hope you like this article!
Please help us grow by sharing:
Get Updates In Your Inbox
Free weekly emails, plus get access
to subscriber-only prizes.