An extremely worrisome bacteria has infected over 50 Americans across 13 states to the point that the government started investigating the issue's source. While illnesses can be easily cured, what got their attention is the fact that these affected patients turned blind.
Some of them can sense light but see nothing else. According to government officials, one died and at least five suffered permanent vision loss. Upon their investigation, they found that all these patients used tainted eyedrops. Each of them got infections in different parts of their body, such as blood, and lungs.
This case had doctors and experts concerned about the nature of this bacterial infection and how it evolved so far to the point that antibiotics can no longer counter it. “This really shows us that it’s not something theoretical and in the future. It’s here,” said Dr. Luis Ostrosky, an infectious diseases expert at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston.
Learn more about the case here.
Image credit: Towfiqu barbhuiya