NEW FEATURE: VOTE & EARN NEATOPOINTS!
Submit your own Neatorama post and vote for others' posts to earn NeatoPoints that you can redeem for T-shirts, hoodies and more over at the NeatoShop!


9

How Companies Keep Their Employees In The Age Of Burnout

It was Valentine’s Day, year 2013, and it was one Valentine’s Day that Patricia Acensi-Ferré would probably never forget. That day, she learned that she had breast cancer. She was 35 years old at that time, and she was a new mom taking care of a baby at the end of her maternity leave. It was a tough situation.

But she decided to fight it with humor: She named her tumor “Roberto” and, when her hair started falling out, she named one of her wigs “Ginger.” She survived a 15-month-long treatment that grew to involve surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. Today, she is cancer-free. 

But her battle did not stop on the day she was declared cancer-free.

With the date of her return set for March 2014, though, Acensi-Ferré received another blow: While she was away, her job had been eliminated. Before her cancer, she had worked for about 15 years in the French government. In accordance with French law, Acensi-Ferré was offered another project—but it was unrelated to her interests and experience. 
Even before her maternity leave, Acensi-Ferré had felt like her employer wanted her to quit. The French have a name for it: placardisé, meaning “relegated to a closet.” Now, she had had enough; she negotiated an exit package with her employer, and then quit.
“Even without the cancer, the moral limit had been surpassed from my point of view,” she says. “I think it could not have happened any other way.” But still, she wondered how her situation could have played out differently. 

While Acensi-Ferré’s double-whammy experience can be considered a rare experience, her experience taking time away from work isn’t. She is only one of many people who “off-ramp” or voluntarily take leave. Off-ramping has become more common in many rich countries throughout the recent years. The question is, how do companies keep their employees with this kind of thing going on?

More details about this story over at Quartz.

(Image Credit: fancycrave1/ Pixabay)


Newest 4
Newest 4 Comments

There are factors other than profits that drive people out of a workplace. The one I see is technology changes. Staff that cannot learn, or fights change even if they can, are encouraged to move on.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
In my experience, many companies are not interested in keeping their long-term employees anymore. It is cheaper and more profitable to hire low-wage part timers. Especially profitable if they don't have to offer insurance or benefits to those working less than 30 hours per week. Where I work, I am one of the 10% who have been there more than 5 years. The other 90% are mostly part timers who learn the skills and then find full-time work somewhere else. If my company offered full time to new employees, maybe some the 70% who work there less than a year, might have stayed.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
"The question is, how do companies keep their employees with this kind of thing going on?" Well, my first thought was ...don't eliminate their job while they're out on maternity leave.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Login to comment.
Email This Post to a Friend
"How Companies Keep Their Employees In The Age Of Burnout"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.

 

Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
 
Learn More