A man named Darren Hickey has died after sampling a fishcake so hot it burned his throat and caused him to be unable to breathe, an inquest has heard. His voice box swelled up over the following 12 hours, which eventually caused him to choke.
The 51-year-old wedding planner was given the small fishcake to try by a chef at a wedding venue on 4 April.
It burnt the back of his throat and as the pain grew worse during the afternoon, Mr Hickey visited the urgent care ward at Chorley Hospital, Lancashire.
The inquest into his death heard how he would have had difficulty breathing and swallowing because of the pain and swelling.
Patrick Waugh, a pathologist who performed a post-mortem examination, said the case was very rare, only seen normally in people who have breathed in smoke in house fires, which burns the airways.
“The patient can appear well, they will be talking to you, but then the swelling starts,” he said.
Find out more about this over at the Independent.
I guess this is a reminder for us to make sure that our food is not that hot before putting it in our mouth. What do you think?
(Image Credit: Neil Parkinson /SWNS.COM)