Seth MacFarlane made quite a splash as the host of the Academy Awards Show. You'll soon know more about him, as Neatorama presents a guest post from actor, comedian, and voiceover artist Eddie Deezen. Visit Eddie at his website.
(Image credit: Flickr user Gage Skidmore)
Seth MacFarlane is the highest-paid talent in the history of the animation industry. He started his professional animation career writing for the Cartoon Network's various shows, including Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and Dexter's Laboratory. But he really put his name ion the animation map with the creation of his series Family Guy, which made its debut in 1999. Cancelled twice, Family Guy survived both times, and is now rightly acknowledged as one of (if not "the") funniest cartoon shows in the history of television. Seth voices several characters on the show, switching back-and-forsth from one character to another, as if possessed.
He also created the shows American Dad (2005) and The Cleveland Show (2009). Seth made his feature film debut ion 2011 with the smash hit Ted, voicing the title role of a smart ass, wise-cracking teddy bear. Okay, let's take a look at a few things you may not have known about the multi-talented Seth MacFarlane.
* His full name is Seth Woodbury MacFarlane. The Woodbury comes from a beloved town drunk in Gardiner, Maine, where his mother's family was raised.
* He started his animation career at the ripe old age of two, drawing his first cartoon characters.
* MacFarlane didn't drink his first beer until he was 23.
* His favorite group is Queen, who he considers a superior group to the Beatles. He says his friends really give it to him on this one!
* MacFarlane doesn't really watch TV much, but loves movies, including the films of Woody Allen, the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby "Road" pictures, John Wayne's Red River, Caddyshack, and Steve Martin's The Jerk.
* His all-time favorite movie is The Sound of Music.
* MacFarlane was scheduled to be a passenger on American Airlines flight 11 on September 11, 2001. His travel agent mistakenly told him his flight was at 8:15 AM, when it was actually a 7:45 AM flight. This misinformation caused him to miss the flight. Tragically, flight 11 was hijacked by terrorists and flown into the World Trade Center, killing all passengers. After hearing about the tragedy, Seth was able to get through to his parents and inform them that he was alright.
* In 2004, People magazine included him in its "Sexiest man Alive" issue.
* MacFarlane is a skilled pianist, and has a nine-foot piano at home which he plays every night after work.
* He discovered Frank Sinatra while in college and is a huge fan of "Old Blue Eyes." He once threw a "Rat pack" themed party and hired Frank Sinatra, Jr. to perform.
* A gifted singer who has performed at Carnegie Hall, Seth released his first album of classic standards Music is Better Than Words in 2011. He recorded his songs on a microphone once used by Frank Sinatra and was trained by a couple in their 90s who had trained Frank.
* MacFarlane has a huge desk at home, which he never uses for writing. "Ever since I was a kid, I've always used the kitchen counter."
* According to his Family Guy co-star Alex Borstein, who play's Peter's wife Lois, Seth's tastes in pop culture are "very retro." He "doesn't have email, doesn't own a computer, and despises most new music."
Yeah. Not real objective there. (OK, it's Neatorama. But still.)
I've seen "Family Guy." It sucks. It's the worst kind of puerile, lowest-hanging-fruit humor. No intelligence to it at all. And that pattern seems to hold for the rest of MacFarlane's work. His sense of humor apparently stopped developing around the fifth grade.
Now, I know that "Family Guy" is a very popular show, but I guess it's either my people from my generation or the circles I travel in, because when I told them he was from "Family Guy", every one went... "Ohhhh...?..........." . They didn't seem to know who he was.
I myself, had actually thought I wouldn't like him MacFarlane at all, but now thanks to Eddie, I think I'll be more interested in watching for him in the future. How can you not like a guy who loves "The Sound of Music" and is a Rat Pack fan???