Here are my Top 10 favorite responses:
10. Amy Whinston said: I had a job solving Rubicks Cubes in a gift shop to attract customers.
9.Nancie Nguyen said: During bedroom role play, a boyfriend asked me to be a samurai ninja. I agreed hahaha.
8. Mark L. Bajorek said: Probably building a small TV jammer in high school just to annoy my sister at home. Those were pre-cable days though...
7. scared_of_bees said: Once, after an art club social, I spotted
and subsequently collected a large leopard slug specimen to take home
6. Eric Johnson said: I once had a (surprisingly heated) argument about the merits of Ewoks vs. Tribbles. I sided with the Ewoks, for the record.
5. hellobrowneyes said: I had a nerd birthday party. Invites on
floppy disks, guess the scientist, and giant microbes as party favors.
4. Denise Yazak said: I reserved Bioshock 2 at Toys R' Us and Gamestop just to get the swag at each store. I went to Gamestop's midnight release to get the multiplayer downloadable content with my special edition, and took the day off of work to get the figurines with my regular edition at Toy's R' Us at 10am the next day. Yep.
3. xadrian said: Built a Lego ship based on an obscure starship from a Star Wars comic – photos of it here
2. Our own John Farrier said: When I was in high school, a hot girl once came up to me and seductively (and teasingly) asked "Is that a calculator in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" I immediately pulled a calculator out of my pocket.
And my number-1 favorite: Kevin Sexton said: My wife and I calculated the date that our niece turned 3.14, and we had a fancy apple pie delivered for her pi birthday. Next day on Twitter, her mom said about us, "They're nerds, but they're pie-sending nerds"