w00t! NeatoShop's Black Friday Sale is finally here! Save up to 25% off ALL T-shirts on our store. This is the lowest prices we'll offer on the store, so take advantage of the sale and get those T-shirts you've always wanted for yourself and your loved ones!
But first, why buy the shirts from us?
Did you know that many of our competitors actually don't print their own T-shirts? Instead they job that out to third party contract printers thousands of miles away. These printers are paid per piece regardless of quality, so they're not keen on making sure everything's top notch.
Not so with us: we print what we sell. That's how we can make sure you get the highest quality T-shirt that you deserve. See: Side-by-side comparison of NeatoShop print quality
Ready to get your Black Friday specials? Visit the NeatoShop today!
|Central City Running Club by Alecxps,
|Infinity Gym by ClayGrahamArt,
Congratulations on the winners of NeatoShop's recent giveaways and contests! First up, elizabeth_panos, klqheat and vilemonolith won our monthly Instagram giveaway where you can win a free T-shirt by taking a selfie of yourself wearing great shirts by NeatoShop artists, and posting it with the hashtag #NeatoShop (super simple, eh?)
Also congrats to those who entered NeatoShop's sale giveaway:
|Anywhere and Everywhere by CoDDesigns won by Nick S.||Element of Surprise by tomburns won by Tapisbis||Undercover Ninja Raph by Hoborobo won by Jarod L.|
And last but not least, congratulations to Corey L. who won the BIG PRIZE on NeatoShop's last Mystery Sale. He won a goodie basket filled with dozens of neat stuff:
Want to win a free T-shirt? Subscribe to NeatoMail to get access to exclusive giveaways and contests (don't worry - we hate spam and won't disclose your email details to anyone):
W00t! We're having an awesome sale over at the NeatoShop: Get Free Shipping Worldwide (yes, we do mean worldwide) on all T-shirt orders. Shirts make for the perfect gift this winter and Christmas season, so skip the long lines at the mall and get your loved ones some tees they'll wear all year long!
And to add to the fun, win a Free T-shirt of your choice by entering the world's easiest T-shirt giveaway. But you better hurry - the sale and the giveaway ends soon!
W00t! We're having an awesome sale on the NeatoShop: Get Free Shipping Worldwide (yes, we do mean worldwide) on all T-shirt orders. Shirts make for the perfect gift this winter and Christmas season, so skip the long lines at the mall and get your loved ones some tees they'll wear all year long!
Let's make this Sale extra fun with a T-shirt giveaway! Here's how to enter:
2. In the comment below, tell us your favorite artwork and the artist who designed it.
3. That's it! There's no step 3.
One entry per person. Multiple entries will be disqualified. We'll pick three winners at random. The winner will be notified through our comment system below, so be sure to use a valid email address. Good luck, everyone!
Update 11/15/15: Congratulations to the winners Nick S., Tapisbis, and Jarod L.! The winners have been contacted via Neatorama's private message system. Thank you for playing, everyone!
The world's first documented high five occurred between Dusty Baker and Glenn Burke of the Los Angeles Dodgers on October 2, 1977 at the Dodger Stadium
Did you ever wonder why we started giving high fives to each other and how it began in sports but made its way to become a symbol of gay pride and identification?
Our pal Today I Found Out explored the life of Glenn Burke, the first openly gay Major League Baseball player, who was credited for "inventing" and popularizing high five in 1977. Watch it on YouTube:
Today's the last day of NeatoShop's Free Worldwide Shipping Sale (that's right: worldwide), so let's have a bit of fun with a neat giveaway. Win a FREE T-shirt of your choice simply by asking for it.
Enter the giveaway here:
NeatoShop's Fall Sale Giveaway
Update 10/12/15: Giveaway is now closed! Thank you for entering, everyone!
If you think sitcoms from the 90s are scary, you'd be right in this case: WorldWideInterweb has recut the TV sitcom Friends into a two minute trailer for a horror movie "Dead Friends."
Classic moments from the series -- including Phoebe's "My eyes! My beautiful eyes!" and the one where Monica wears a Thanksgiving turkey on her head -- get put through a very Hitchcockian, black-and-white lens with the help of a few jump scares and a moody score.
Remember, Friends will be there for you, dead or alive.
Ben Carpenter, an engineering student and avid cosplayer, uses a wheelchair because of spinal muscular atrophy. But Ben didn't let his wheelchair prevent him from creating the most epic "Mad Max" cosplay ever: in fact, he used the wheelchair as part of the costume!
Check out Ben's costume from Dragoncon and Tampa Bay Comic Con:
View more of Ben's awesome Mad Max Fury Road cosplay over at his Instagram.
Fame sure is fickle. One day you're a star on the big screen, the next you're selling bananas on the streets of Beijing.
Users of Weibo, a Chinese microblogging site, shared this photo of two adorable Minions selling bananas and getting hassled by urban management officers.
But don't feel sorry for the lovable guys, Shanghaiist explains how all is just a ploy to get you to watch the release of the latest Despicable Me movie in China.
Have you ever seen a crocodile jump straight out of the water? Can they jump out of the water with those stubby lil' legs?
National Geographic photographer Trevor Frost has got the answer ...
Crocodiles have incredibly strong tails. Their tails propel them in the water like torpedoes from a submarine. In fact, as you see here, their tails are so strong that they can propel their entire body out of the water.
... complete with videographic proof:
There's only one appropriate response to this.
I fixed my fridge by watching a howto video online, but that's nothing compared to what Asmelash Zerefu of Ethiopia did: He built an airplane by watching YouTube videos.
Zerefu has always wanted to be a pilot, but in 2001, he was turned down from the Ethiopian Airlines Aviation Academy because he was about half an inch too short. But that crushing setback didn't deter him: Zerefu decided to build himself a plane from scratch.
Jonathan Wells of The Telegraph has the story:
... following ten years of planning, the day arrived that Zerefu had to begin construction on Ethiopia’s first ever home-built aircraft. After incorporating the design of the Clark-Y Airfoil Wing into his own unique plans, and tailoring other existing plane parts, Zerefu began the long and arduous task of sourcing the components and materials he would need to construct his very own magnificent flying machine.
"I collected from garages and workshops, and Merkato - which is Africa's largest market - in Addis Ababa. I used first and second-hand materials to build my aircraft.”
Photo: Dina Litovsky/NY Times
If a rolling duffel is just not hipster enough for you, it's time to go full hobo and get yourself an bindle. But don't just grab any old stick and rag, get yourself a "locally-grown, naturally-fallen artisanal bindle bags" from Josiah and Dusty, the Bindle Bros of (you guessed it) Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
"We're trying to build adventures, one stick, one bindle at a time," Dusty said to the New York Times. "You can fit any physical objects in a bindle," added Josiah,"but bindles are really meant for your hopes and your dreams."
These bindles ain't cheap: a basic one goes for $99, and fancy ones can cost up to $350. "There's a lot of R and D that goes into constructing one of these gems," Josiah defended his handmade creation, "You can't just tie a bandanna to the end of a stick." And business is booming:
But before you rage against the inanity of the idea of an artisanal bindle (come on, you're kicking yourself because you didn't think of it first), read the full story behind the Bindle Bros over at the New York Times.
I wonder if you can carry artisanal firewood in one of those bindles.
Daredevil Primož Ravnik rode his bicycle down the nearly vertical wall of a Slovenian dam and captured the nearly 200 feet (60m) plunge on his GoPro camera. The stunt was part of a contest by GoPro and biking website Pinkbike to find the most outrageous stunt, with a top prize of $20,000.
If that's not extreme enough for you, here's a compilation cut of more death defying stunts from Pinkbike:
We're gonna need a bigger pencil!
Polish illustrator Bartosz Kosowski of Blackbird Illustration spent almost a year creating this phenomenal poster of the 1975 Jaws movie by Steven Spielberg. Kosowski used 202 simple lines to recreate the iconic image of the shark's dorsal fin poking out of the surface of the water.
Betcha start humming the movie's theme song when you saw this! Dun dun dun dun dun dun ...
Will text for nonfat venti soy chai latte with half shot of espresso no foam! Our pal Dan Piraro of Bizarro Comic envisioned the modern panhandler rattling his artisanal fair trade ceramic coffee mug whilst waiting for a kind soul's help to get the morning's coffee.
Have you seen the prices at your favorite coffee shop lately? The only way to afford a cuppa is to beg for one!
Sarah Chrisman riding her high-wheel tricycle (Photo: Ester Hyo Gyung Choi)
The Victorian era certainly looks glamorous and interesting on the silver screen, but how would you like to live like people did back then? Author Sarah A. Chrisman and her husband Gabriel did just that, and explained it all in this illuminating article over at Vox:
Every morning I wind the mechanical clock in our parlor. Each day I write in my diary with an antique fountain pen that I fill with liquid ink using an eyedropper. My inkwell and the blotter I use to dry the ink on each page before I turn it are antiques from the 1890s; I buy my ink from a company founded in 1670. My sealing wax for personal letters comes from the same company, and my letter opener was made sometime in the late Victorian era from a taxidermied deer foot.
There are no modern lightbulbs in our house. When Gabriel and I have company we use early electric lightbulbs, based on the first patents of Tesla and Edison. When it's just the two of us, we use oil lamps. When we started using period illumination every day, we were amazed by how much brighter the light is from antique oil lamps than from modern reproductions.
Read the rest over at Vox.
See previously: I'm Living Like I'm In the Victorian Era
Every year, the town of Zundert in southern Netherlands holds an over-the-top flower parade, with floats after floats covered in millions of dahlias. This year's theme celebrates the town's most famous son, Vincent van Gogh, who was born there in 1853.
Take a look at the fantastic and surreal floats of Corso Zundert, via the festival's official Instagram and website:
You've heard of cabin in the woods, but how about the other way around? In Norway, there are woods in your cabin!
Our pal DumpADay has got a neat post about 10 storage ideas that are so simple yet useful that they're borderline genius! Like using a paper towel holder to organize your ribbons:
Or using crown moulding to organize high heels:
Now why didn't I think of this! Take a look at the rest over at DumpADay - Thanks Jon!
See also: 8 Awesome Storage Organization Hacks over at Homes & Hues
It's been a long while since we had a one on Neatorama, so we're excited to announce that the NeatoShop Mystery Sale and Sweepstakes is back in celebration of our 10th anniversary! What mysterious item will you get? We're not telling - that's the whole point of a Mystery Sale.
But here's what we can tell you: you'll get something (or a combination of things) with retail value of at least $9.95. It will be a physical item. If you buy more than one Mystery item, you'll get different items.
And there's more: if you are eligible, you will automatically enter you in a drawing of a BIG Mystery Item. What is it? Again, we're not telling - but we can tell you, this one is pretty nifty. If you're a long-time reader of Neatorama, then you'll know that we've given away geeky watches, cool electronics, limited edition collectibles and more.
What will you get? Don't miss out on the fun: get yours today!
Ends at 11:59:59 PM PST August 23, 2015. No purchase necessary. Open to legal US residents 18 or older. See complete rules. Void where prohibited or restricted.
NEATOSHOP MYSTERY SALE AND SWEEPSTAKES OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility. The NeatoShop Mystery Sale and Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") is open only to legal residents of the United States who are at least eighteen (18) years of age at the age of entry. Employees, independent contractors, officers, directors, and agent of Sponsor, other companies associated with the Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family member and household members of any of the foregoing are not eligible to enter. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited by law.
2. Sponsor. The Sweepstakes is Sponsored by Neatorama, Inc., 26450 Ruether Ave Ste 202, Santa Clarita, CA 91350 ("Sponsor").
3. Agreement to Rules. By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by the Official Rules set within, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of the Sponsor as final and binding as it relates to the content.
4. Sweepstakes Period. Entries will be accepted starting on or about August 20, 2015 and ending August 23, 2015. All online entries must be received by August 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM PST.
5. How to Enter. Email entry to the Sweepstakes must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and your address with the email subject line "NeatoShop Sweepstakes". Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. You may enter only once. Entering multiple times using multiple email addresses in attempt to circumvent the rules is deemed fraudulent and will result in disqualification at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
NeatoShop customer who purchase Mystery Sale items, and who are eligible according to these Official Rules, will automatically be entered in the Sweepstakes.
6. Prizes. One winner will receive a combination of novelty items valued at $200. Actual or appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Sponsor. No cash or other prize substitution permitted except at Sponsor's discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including and without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cast equivalent by the winner is permitted. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor to use the winner's name, likeness, and entry for the purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
7. Odds. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
8. Winner Selection and Notification. Winner of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing under the supervision of the Sponsor. Winner will be notified by email to the email address they entered in the Sweepstakes within seven (7) days following the winner selection. The Sponsor shall have no liability for a winner's failure to receive notices due to the winner's spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winner's provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 15 days from the time the award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Sweepstakes is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR'S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER'S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
9. Rights Granted by You. By entering the Sweepstakes, you understand that Sponsor, anyone acting on behalf of Sponsor, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the world, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner's name, portrait, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Sweepstakes, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
10. Terms. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes should a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, Sponsor may select the winner from all eligible entry received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or website or violates these Official Rules.
Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Sweepstakes, to void entries for any reason, including, but not limited to, multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses, multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by sweepstakes rules; or the use of bots, macros or scripts or other technical means for entering.
Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
By entering the Sweepstakes you agree to receive email newsletters periodically from Sponsor. You can opt-out of receiving this communication at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
11. Limitation of Liability. By entering you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant's participation in the sweepstakes and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
12. Disputes. THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND STATE OF CALIFORNIA AND THE CITY OF SANTA CLARITA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in California having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List. To obtain a copy of the winner's name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Neatorama, Inc., 26450 Ruether Ave Ste 202, Santa Clarita, CA 91350. Requests must be received no later than 7 days after the end of the Sweepstakes.
|The Real Platform
|Fight Like a Girl
|Attack on Titan Bauklotze
Recently, we held two giveaways for Neatorama readers and NeatoMail subscribers. Here are the winners, as picked by the random number generator over at Random.org.
First, there was the NeatoShop August Back to School T-Shirt Giveaway. Congratulations to JanetP who won The Real Platform T-shirt by Tinkerpen, luckylooloo who won Attack on Titan Bauklotze by Coconut_Design, and Catherine T. who won Fight Like a Girl by Doodle-Heads.
|PhD in Shopping
by Boggs Nicolas
Then, we've got our super neat Tokyoflash Treasure Hunt (answer page here). Congratulations to PinoyEggHead who won the Mini Theory T-Shirt by Donnie, gracieog who won PhD in Shopping T-Shirt by Boggs Nicolas, and Casey LaCaze who won Bender UFO by Firebeard.
Tokyoflash's Kisai Blade Wood Link LED Watch
And (drum roll, please!) the grand prize winner is Jason Castick who won the Kisai Blade Wood Link LED Watch courtesy of our pal Tokyoflash. Congrats, Jason!
We continue to have awesome giveaways exclusive to NeatoMail subscribers. Join in on the fun by entering your email address below (We won't disclose your email info to anyone - we hate spam ourselves!)
Time flies when you're having fun! Today is Neatorama's 10th anniversary (that'll make this blog a fourth grader, right?) and I'd like to take a moment to reflect and give thanks.
It all started ten years ago in a spare bedroom in my house with this very first post (and the link is still good). Some 80,000 posts, 250 million visits, 155 million unique visitors and nearly 400 million pageviews later, we're still at it!
I'd like to thank Neatorama's wonderful team - Miss C, John, Jill, Zeon, Lisa, Rommel, Brian, Jen, Anthony, and my lovely wife Tiffany, and to all of you Neatoramanauts for making it a fun journey so far.
We've been working hard on the shop-side (have you checked out the NeatoShop lately? We'll do something fun there soon to celebrate!) We've also got a few neat things planned for the blog as well.
I can't wait to see what the next ten years will bring us :)
Gooood morning, sunshine! Flipboard's super neat The Photo Desk profiled this smiley face sunflower as photographed by photographer Yuriko Nakao. Checkout many more of her awesome photos of a field of sunflowers in Tokyo, Japan, in full bloom over at Flipboard.
Munch on this neat fact while you dine on your microwavable haute cuisine in front of the TV. Our pal Today I Found Out delved into the annals of history and told us who invented the TV dinner, and what 260 tons of surplus Thanksgiving turkey meat has got to do with it!
And while you're at it, checkout TIFO's growing YouTube channel - you'll find tons of neat videos on many fascinating topics. Thanks Daven!
There sure are plenty of things that we wish we can unsee on the Interwebs! So when it happens again, I'll have this picture handy. By the way, that's Jasper, the "fanciest, fluffiest Himalayan around." Jasper's so fancy and cute he has his own Instagram page.
Now, what do you think that Jasper has seen that he can't unsee? (Bonus points if you work in a story about John).
w00t! I'm happy to announce the return of the Tokyoflash Treasure Hunt on Neatorama!
For those of you who haven't played before, the Tokyoflash Treasure Hunt is the neatest online scavenger hunt you'll play today. Win a Tokyoflash watch of your choice (yes, that's right - a Tokyoflash watch! Now that's geek street cred!) as well as neat T-shirts from the NeatoShop.
All you have to do is solve the clues to play. For example:
1. What's the name of Neatorama's kid and baby blog?
2. What is 2+1?
3. What is the name of the top grill in our Top 10 Coolest BBQ Grills post?
Put the answers together to form this link: http://www.neatorama.com/neatobambino-3-lynx
Go ahead and copy and paste that URL to your browser to get to the answer page. Easy, right? OK - are you ready for the real thing?
Here are the clues to the Tokyoflash Treasure Hunt #27:
1. Visit Tokyoflash.com and look for the new watch with a single hand design. Fill in the blank: "The time is shown with just one hand designed in the shape of a Japanese ____ sword"
2. Visit the NeatoShop's Science T-Shirt category. Find the shirt featuring three female astronomers. Fill in the blank: "developed a system for measuring distances in the cosmos by tracking the _____ of the stars."
3. Back to Tokyoflash. Find a watch with amazing three interlocking rings design. Fill in the blank: "Three vivid ____ of light behind a dark mineral crystal lens."
Visit Tokyoflash and the NeatoShop to find answers to these clues. Then string them together to form the URL: http://www.neatorama.com/answer1-answer2-answer3 (all one-word, lower case, separated by dash).
This contest will end soon, so hurry! Have fun, guys!Update 8/17/15: Time's up! The winners have been chosen.
All right! You've found the Tokyoflash Treasure Hunt #27 answer page.
You're only one step away from winning. One lucky commenter, chosen at random, will win the Tokyoflash Watch of their choice. Three more random commenters will win neat T-shirts from the NeatoShop.Like this? Like us on Facebook for more neat giveaways!
PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS
In a single comment below:
1. Write your choice of Tokyoflash
watch (don't forget the color)
2. Write your choice of T-shirt from the NeatoShop and the artist who designed it. We highly suggest something from the Funny T-shirt, Science T-Shirt and Sci-Fi T-shirt categories.
Go ahead and take a look. You've got plenty of time.
One entry per person. You may have to register a username in order to comment. Incomplete or multiple entries will disqualify you. If you made a mistake, please do not enter another comment - instead, edit the original comment or email us and we'll fix it for you.
Thank you for playing and good luck (one more time). Please tell your friends about Tokyoflash and the NeatoShop! We'll announce the winners soon!Update 8/17/15: Congratulations to PinoyEggHead, gracieog, and Casey LaCaze who won the T-shirts! Congrats to the grand prize winner, Jason Castick, who won a Tokyoflash watch! If you didn't win, take heart - we'll surely have more of these neat treasure hunts on Neatorama!
Pee-wee Herman released a set of neat-o photos from the movie, which was directed by Tim Burton (his film directorial debut, no less). This photo above shows Tim Burton holding a bunch of snakes while Pee-wee looked on. It's from the Fire in the Pet Store scene, which you can see after the jump:
Success! Your email has been sent!