What wine goes best with crickets? How about silkworms? Folks in California found out at two events called Scary Delicious, where many types of both wine and edible insects were served. The tasting were hosted by Aly Moore of Bugible, a website devoted to promoting edible insects, and Michael Consbruck of V Wine Room in West Hollywood. Check out the menu:
• Four Brix Baubles with Protein Bars and Whole Roasted Crickets
• Sforzando Sauvignon Blanc with grasshoppers and Queen Weaver Ants
• Trinitas Chardonnay with cheddar-smoked paprika roasted cricket popcorn and New Mexico red chili popcorn with lime zest and whole roasted crickets
• Pinot Noir with honey mustard crickets and BBQ mealworms
• Alma Sol Zinfandel with dark chocolate-covered crickets and silkworm pupae
• Sforzando Cabernet Franc with whole Thai june bugs
Read about the first event at Treehugger. -Thanks, John Farrier!