Submit your own Neatorama post and vote for others' posts to earn NeatoPoints that you can redeem for T-shirts, hoodies and more over at the NeatoShop!

What is It? Game 35

Yay! It's time for another round of Neatorama's guessing game, in collaboration with the always intriguing What is it? Blog. Can you guess what this strange object is for?

More photos (and clues about its size) at What is it? Blog. Contest rule is darned simple: place your guess in the comment, post no URL (let others play), and one guess per comment. You can submit multiple comments. No prize this week, just bragging rights.

Good luck!

[Update 8/31/07: Here's the answer:

These are horn weights for a bull. To keep bulls from seriously injuring each other when fighting, these weights were placed on the horns to make the ends point downward. They were also used to fix mismatched horns, where one horn grew slightly higher than the other. If a horn weight was left on for just a few weeks, it would easily change the higher horn's angle of growth. Modern versions can be seen here.

without looking at other pics, or size, i would haveto say that its used in a factory to pour some hot liquid substance like molten metal.

do i win? :D
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
I'm thinking it is a torch tip. The screws on the sides are for securing it to a wooden handle. There's a hole on the bottom you can't see (go to the link for more pix) -- this hole is actually on the end that faces up and it is where the combustible wad is inserted for burning.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Its a Fobinator cap. When not in use, a fobinator will randomly emit gesren fluid at various pressures, the result of which may be embarrassing or fatal (or both!) When I was working as a pimble on a stannal rig in the Ural mountains, I carried at least three in my hip pockets everywhere I went. I never suffered from 'the slobber' (Guion's syndrom), but I did develop a particular gait.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
My Dad worked as a ironworker for over 40 years. I have seen many of these on the end of very very long rods that they would dip into the molten metal...this is used to pouyr molten metal.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Well I was pretty sure it was a piece on a train, until I found out it was only 2 inches tall. There is a Durbin, west Virginia and I think they are pretty famous for their old locomotives.

So it might be a piece on an old locomotive, but I have no idea where it would go or what purpose it would serve. Maybe someone else does.

Incidently, can anyone make out all the letters on the other side? S T L (something) K O ? or maybe the K is an R or an &. I cant really make out the letter before if there is one.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
I'm at a loss for what word you might use.. but is it something you'd put on a prisoners hand? screw those bolts in tightly and then they're sorta disabled??
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
It is a specialized sort of crucible for thermite welding. The thermite reaction forms molten iron, which runs out of the hole in the bottom. Possibly used to weld railroad tracks together.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Login to comment.
Click here to access all of this post's 28 comments

Email This Post to a Friend
"What is It? Game 35"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.


Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More