Everybody loves having a steaming hot mug of cocoa during those cold winter months, but over the years the convenience of always having instant hot cocoa mix on hand has taken a lot of the flavor out of our mug.
These instant mixes also include lots of unnecessary additives and preservatives that further muddy the flavor, so Alton Brown decided to take hot cocoa mix back to basics with this recipe:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch (or more to taste) ground cayenne pepper*, optional
- Hot milk or water to serve
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, milk powder, salt, cornstarch and cayenne in a large airtight container. Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine, and remember to shake prior to every extraction.
- To serve: Place 2 tablespoons of the mix in a mug and add about 2 fluid ounces hot water or milk. Stir to combine. Fill the mug with more hot water or milk and enjoy.
For an added treat whip up some of Alton's homemade marshmallows and toss them in the mug with your cocoa!
-Via Alton Brown