Inflated Hedgehog

A hedgehog in Bude, Cornwall, England, was taken to the vet because he was so big and round that he couldn't walk or curl up. Veterinary staff were puzzled, because the huge hedgehog was of normal weight. An x-ray revealed that the animal was, indeed, inflated. Veterinary surgeon Adam Revitt said he had never seen a case of "balloon syndrome" before.

Balloon syndrome occurs when bacteria gets into a wound and gives off gas that becomes trapped under the skin, Mr Revitt explained.

He added: "This is the first case I had ever seen. It is uncommon. There are very few things published about it.

"Without the treatment it couldn’t breathe and would probably have died."

Revitt used a syringe to slowly deflate the hedgehog over about five minutes. The animal is now on antibiotics and is recovering nicely. Link  -via Arbroath

Previously at Neatorama: A similar case from 2007.


Commenting is closed.

Got a cute pet? Email tips
neatorama.com to get your pet
featured on the Lifestyles of the
Cute and Cuddly blog!




Check out Twaggies' very funny clip:

Give a Man a Fish - Twaggies by Twaggies

Email This Post to a Friend

"Inflated Hedgehog"


Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.

 

Success! Your email has been sent!

close window