I currently live with my wife and daughter in beautiful Lexington, Kentucky. Other than illustration I like to spend my time running. I have a running stroller that my daughter loves. We get to spend time together as well as getting a bit of exercise, and you can’t beat that. I am hoping to eventually break into the young adult and children’s book illustrating. (Note to publishers and agents: …I’m available.) I hope people can relate to my work and enjoy it as much as I enjoy creating my art. Feel free to drop me a line and say hi.
1. Trip to the Moon (working title) – Gouache on board
This is a panel from a children’s book I am currently working on. My plans are to self publish, sell them through my shop and use as a portfolio piece to send to publishing houses.
2. The Black Rabbit of Inle – Gouache (opaque watercolor), on paper w/ digital enhancements
I had just finished reading the novel Watership Down by Richard Adams. The idea of a rabbit warren having a society and culture as well as spiritual beliefs intrigued me. This would be the representation of the grim reaper in their folklore.
3. Pieter Rabbit and the Mechanical Unlimited – Watercolor on board with digital enhancements
My take on an alternate reality version of the classic Beatrix Potter character, (misspelling intended). I like the idea of the character involved in a pulp comic book adventure series. Rendered in a slightly retro, nostalgic tone.
4. The Napoleon of the Small Things - Goache on board
I sometimes wonder where my things go. Car keys, my favorite pair of socks, the right sock gone missing after placed within my dresser drawers. I now know that it is not so much faulty memory. I realized this the other night as I sat at my drawing table and noticed from the corner of my eye, a small being scampering across my floor with a key from my pants pocket…
5. Thigpen and The Feline - Gouache on watercolor paper
An interesting tale if I ever do come up with one for this piece.
6. A Fox through a Dark Wood – Gouache on watercolor paper
7. The Winter March – Gouache on paper
A concept illustration for a book featuring a young monster named Gregor.
8. Summer and the Red Banjo – Gouache on paper
This piece was an experiment in a slightly looser, fluid graphical style.
9. A Secret Journey - Watercolor on paper with digital enhancements
A journey through the swamplands. This was another piece that was very open ended in its narrative. It was also an experiment in using a color palette not normal to my repertoire.
10. The Waterhorse – Gouache on paper
I have quite an interesting “backstory” on this picture. It is listed under this image on my website if you care to take a look.
Thank you for looking.
Website: Rob Bridges
Online Shop: Robbridges (prints and original paintings, commissions accepted)