What's left to be said about Tom Brady? He just won his record fifth Super Bowl while playing in his record seventh. Last Sunday, Tom Brady carried his New England Patriots to the greatest comeback victory in Super Bowl history. Down by 25 points in the third quarter (by a score of 28-3) of Super Bowl 51, Tom somehow still managed to lead his team to victory. The Pats won the first-ever overtime Super Bowl by a final score of 34-28.
To millions of fans, he is a hero, but to his detractors, he is a "cheater." He is the most loved and hated quarterback in the world. Rich, handsome, married to a supermodel, and the owner of 5 Super Bowl rings. Tom Brady is so famous he seems to actually transcend football.
The "Deflate-Gate" scandal of 2014 really put a taint on him in many quarters. But Sunday's Super Bowl win made millions all over the world believe Tom terrific is the G.O.A.T., not only of quarterbacks, but of all football players. Whatever your opinion of Tom Brady is (and everyone seems to have one), let's take a look at 24 things you may not know about number 12 of the New England Patriots- Tom Brady.
1. He buys his offensive line dinner on the eve of every game. Tom is a smart guy and he knows much of his success as a quarterback is because of the protection his offensive line gives him. So for every game of the football season, on the night before a game, Tom foots the bill and treats his linemen to chow (all they can eat).
2. He's never tasted coffee. No kidding. Tom said he has never had a cup of coffee in his life. He says he never liked the smell of the stuff and has just never been curious enough to even try a sip.
3. Forget coffee, he's never even eaten a strawberry. Tom also claims he's never eaten a strawberry in his entire life. His food diet is 80% organic vegetables and 20% lean meats.
4. He has guest-starred in both on The Simpsons and Family Guy. Okay, how cool is that? Tom did a guest spot on The Simpsons in 2005 episode "Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass," and as if that wasn't cool enough, he also did a Family Guy guest bit the next year in the 2006 episode "Patriot Games."
5. He once hosted Saturday Night Live. Tom was the guest host on SNL on April 16, 2005. His musical guest was Beck. His appearance featured a very non-politically correct (but hilarious) sketch regarding sexual harassment.
6. That stuff you see him drinking on the sidelines isn't water. During games you will often see the camera pan to Tom and you will see him taking swigs from his water bottle. Only that isn't water, Tom drinks coconut juice during games to keep himself hydrated.
7. After graduating high school in 1995, he was drafted as a baseball player, as a catcher. But Tom chose the University of Michigan instead, as he wanted to play football.
8. He admitted he's cried at last twice in his life. He was drafted 199th in the 2000 NFL draft, a sixth round draft choice. Tom has admitted he wept when he was drafted so low. Tom also said he cried after his team lost the Super Bowl of 2009 to the New York Giants on a miracle catch by Giants receiver Dave Tyree.
9. What else does he love to talk about and do besides football? He loves to chow down. According to Tom, "I could talk food all day. I love good food." He should try strawberries.
10. He appeared in two movies in the same year. In 2016, Tom guest-starred in Seth MacFarlane's comedy about a talking teddy bear, Ted 2. (He and Seth must have got along well when Tom did his Family Guy stint 9 years ago.) Tom also made a cameo appearance in last summer's Entourage movie.
11. He once judged the Miss Universe contest. In 2002, Tom was a judge on the panel of the Miss Universe contest, which took place in Gary Indiana, in 2002. He was flown out right after winning his first Super Bowl. (What a life, huh?)
(Image credit: Jonathan Satriale/WEBN-TV)
12. He gave away the car he was awarded as MVP of the 2015 Super Bowl. Tom was named most valuable player in the 2015 Super Bowl when he and the Pats defeated the Seattle Seahawks. But Tom gave away the car he won to teammate Malcolm Butler, who made the game-winning interception.
13. He once threw five touchdown passes- in a quarter. Throwing five TD passes in a game would be a spectacular game for any quarterback, but in a 2009 game against the Tennessee Titans, Tom threw five TD passes in one quarter.
14. He has a football stadium named after him. Tom attended Junipero Terra High School in San Mateo, California. In 2012, the San Mateo football stadium was re-christened "Brady Family Stadium," in honor of its most famous alumnus..
15. A staunch republican, Tom endorsed Donald Trump for the 2016 presidency. Well, sort of. He did say, "It would be great" if the Donald won. A Trump "Make Anerica Great Again" hat was spotted in his locker in the New England locker room. He and Trump are friends and have golfed together on several occasions.
16. He did not appear at the White House Super Bowl gathering following the 2015 Super Bowl win. When President Obama invited the Super Bowl champs to visit the White House earlier this year, Tom was nowhere to be seen.
(Image credit: Andrew Campbell)
17. He was president George W. Bush's guest at his 2004 State of the Union address, and got to sit next to former First Lady Barbara Bush.
18. Tom doesn't throw many interceptions. During a period in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, Tom threw an NFL record 358 passes in a row without one being picked off.
19. He threw his 400th touchdown pass in the 2015 season. He needed fewer attempts to do it than any quarterback in history (7,282). He beat Peyton Manning's record by 14 passes. Tom ended the 2016 season with 456 lifetime TD passes, the fourth most ever, behind Dan Marino (461), Brett Favre (508) and Peyton Manning (539).
20. Although he grew up in the San Francisco area and is a New England Patriot, Tom loves the New York Yankees as his favorite baseball team. He once wore his Yankee cap in the Pats locker rom, but stopped when he was told it wasn't right.
21. The most touchdown passes he's ever thrown in a season is 50 in the 2007 season. This stood as the NFL record until it was broken by Peyton Manning six years later. The least was 0. Tom was injured in the first quarter of the first game of the 2008 season and didn't appear in any further games all year.
22. He's only ever played for one coach in his 17-year NFL career: Bill Belichick. Tom and Bill have combined 208 wins in the regular season and the play-offs, both NFL records.
23. What kind of women does Tom like? Of course, as we all know, Tom is very happily married to supermodel Gisele Bundchen. But millions of women of all ages still dream of Tom Brady. What kind of women attract Tom? "I'm attracted to women who are smart and funny and ambitious, and have lives of their own and great families. Isn't that what attracts anyone?"
24. Where does he draw the line with women? According to Tom: "I think any man who lets a woman pick what he should wear… I mean, you gotta draw the line somewhere as a man. I see these guys (who say) 'My wife told me to wear this' and I just shake my head."