Save up to 25% off ALL T-shirts from the NeatoShop! Hurry - sale ends Nov 29, 2015.

Tortoise Survivor

A fire broke out in Becky Smith's home when a heat lamp turned over on her tortoise cage, setting the wood chip litter ablaze. The bedrooms were engulfed, and two tortoises died. A third tortoise named Shelli was thought to be dead as well, as his cage was melted.
He was so hot he 'phfizzed' when firefighters put him in water – and then poked his head out.

'The firemen said he was steaming when they put him in the bucket of water and he was so hot they couldn't pick him up,' said Ms Smith, 27.

'It's a miracle he is OK – especially when you see the state of the cage.'

Vets kept him in overnight and Shelli is now nibbling cucumber again.

Link -via Arbroath

Newest 5
Newest 5 Comments

the wood chips are bad because they can irritate the animal's skin, and they can also cause noxious fumes when they soak up water/urine etc.
wood chips, shavings and that sort of thing are typically a bad substrate for any cage animal.
sand or even newspaper are worlds better for the animal and for general clean up.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
tortoises usually do better on sand. that chick should also get a radiant mat heater or a rock that will absorb enough heat through the day to warm the cage through the night so that she can put a cooler heat lamp on overnight.
Abusive comment hidden. (Show it anyway.)
Commenting is closed.

Email This Post to a Friend
"Tortoise Survivor"

Separate multiple emails with a comma. Limit 5.


Success! Your email has been sent!

close window

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More