1. Prototypes were flying as early as 1962.
2. It cruises at Mach 3. On afterburner. Really. It’s designed to do that all the time. This thing is the Real Ultimate Power of planes.
3. It’s skin is titanium, purchased from Russia, to spy on Russians. Pwned!
4. The pilots wear pressurized space suits. This is a good idea given its operational ceiling is higher than 80,000 feet.
5. Thousands of missiles have been fired at it. None have ever caught it. Pilots watching enemy missiles drop away behind them describe the experience as “very gratifying.”
6. The SR-71 is one of the first stealth planes. Based on its ginormous size (over 100 feet long), it should have a RADAR print the size of a barn. Instead, because of features such as its inward-canting stabilizers and hard chines, it has the RADAR print of a door.